Leading Puget Sound - Seattle Roofing Contractor Since 2008
Secret #1: Roof Deck
A roof deck is the solid wood surface that your roof is built on. For the most durable installation you will need a firm, moisture resistant and level surface.
Existing moss is agitated with a wire brush which will physically remove over 80% of the existing moss. Then we will blow off the moss and roof debris followed by cleaning out any open gutters and downspouts.
½” CDX plywood is the only suitable roof deck for a Northwest home.
- Resists swelling from moisture and inhibits mold growth
- Durable and long lasting
- Provides a secure hold for all fasteners
- Eliminates uneven surfaces[envira-gallery id=”8452″]
Secret #2: Underlayment
Underlayment is a layer of fabric-like material that is installed over your roof deck.
The highest quality underlayment is Safeguard 30® Hybrid Underlayment.
- Five times stronger than a conventional 30 lb. felt
- Lays flatter during installation and does not bubble or shrink.
- Extremely difficult to tear and does not blow off in high winds
- Offers the best leak protection throughout installation
- Provides traction for roofers and creates a safer job site
For added protection against moisture it is important to install ice/water shield around roof perforations and areas of heavy water buildup.[envira-gallery id=”8459″]
Secret #3: Metal Roof Flashings
Reused roof flashings are prone to leaking and detract from the finished appearance of your new roof.
A 26 gauge, enamel coated metal flashing should be installed at the critical areas of your roof, such as:
- Gutter edges
- Rake edges
- Step (sidewall)
- Chimney (especially if you have a brick chimney)
*Plumbing vent flashings are most effective when they are solid lead with a lead cap.*
Secret #4: Balanced Ventilation
Balanced ventilation is when your intake is greater or equal to your exhaust. An imbalanced system will create air swirling, rather than flow, which increases moisture, condensation as well as heat retention within your attic and home.
Below are the benefits of balanced ventilation:
- Prevents mold growth in your attic
- Prevents structural damage due to dry rot
- Reduces energy usage and helps lower both heating a and cooling costs
For the most effective system, interior fan vents should be properly secured to a roof vent and your attic should be sealed between your living and attic spaces.[envira-gallery id=”8465″]
Secret #5: Roof Maintenance
To best protect your investment and keep your roof looking new, roof maintenance should be performed annually or semi annually.
A complete maintenance program should include:
- Removing all roof debris with air, not pressure washing
- Cleaning gutters and downspouts
- Agitating existing moss
- Applying a moss and algae treatment
- Performing a full roof inspection
- Thoroughly cleaning the grounds of all roof debris